Equipment/Techniques/Methodologies for the study and evaluation of corrosion
There are well-equipped facilities that consist on:
- Climatic chambers to perform accelerated corrosion tests, controlling the temperature and humidity. Usually, an aggressive electrolyte is used (chloride based ones at different pH) with and without oxidizing agents (e.g. cupric ions).
- Electrochemical corrosion cells to expose a system of interest to an aggressive electrolyte (acidic, basic, chloride, fluoride, etc.). Different type of cells can be used: anti-crevice, temperature-control cell, horizontal flat cell, environment control cell, etc.
- Potentiostats with AC and DC to perform different electrochemical techniques to determine the resistance or the kinetic to be corroded in a specific media/electrolyte.
- Electrochemical working station for localized corrosion using a low conductivity electrolyte as aggressive environment for LEIS, SVET and ac/ic-SECM techniques.
- SKP for localized corrosion with or without the presence of an electrolyte
- Tribometer adapted with a corrosion cell to perform tribocorrosion tests.
MOST OUTSTANDING EQUIPMENT AND COMPONENTS
Climatic chambers for accelerated corrosion
Electrochemical working station for localized corrosion (LEIS, SVET, ac/ic-SECM)
Scanning kelving probe SKP
SERVICES OFFERED BY THE ASSET
Climatic chambers for accelerated corrosion tests (neutral salt spray (NSS), cupric-acetic salt spray (CASS)). Conventional and localized electrochemical techniques for corrosion evaluation.
- Accelerated corrosion tests to evaluate the tendency of materials to be corroded.
- Potentio-/Galvano- dynamic/static test of isolated materials or under galvanic coupling (anodic and cathodic branches together or separately) to study the corrosion kinetic.
- Water uptake measurements of the coating-metal interface by electrochemical impedance spectroscopy (EIS).
- Delamination phenomenon (e.g. cathodic delamination on steel or filiform corrosion on aluminium) monitored by scanning kelvin probe (SKP) using specific configuration.
- Customer type:
Any type in general, including product developers, parts manufacturers, and finished piece suppliers
- Various sectors: Most of the sectors like aeronautics, automotive, biomedical, machine tool etc.